Tuesday 9 February 2010

9 Feb 2010 - A breakthrough at breakfast!

I seem to spend most of my time in the Programming and Unrealscript section of the UDK forums these days - though for good reason. Another breakthrough in the game development while I was getting ready for University, and yet another of those tiny details that are so important.

The vehicle has been renamed when the player enters it! See for yourself:


Admittedly, this is only relevant if the player has to get into the vehicle in the first place (as opposed to starting in the vehicle when they enter the level - another thing I want to look at) but it's good to know these things, right? A similar method would be employed to rename in-game weapons, and i'm sure i'll want to do that in future.

So, how is this done? It's really simple, you just need to know where to look - and I didn't - but those kind souls on the UDK forums helped out... again.

To rename a vehicle I had to alter the string for the following code in UTGameContent.int found in UTGame/Localization/INT:

[UTVWeap_ScorpionTurret]
ItemName="
Custom Name For Vehicle Goes Here"


Also credit should go out to GeoDav again because thought he hasn't dealt with my issue directly, a similar post he made some time ago indicated that I have to change the vehicle's WEAPON, not the Vehicle name itself.

That's put me in a much better mood today.